forum

Retry from Last Break [rejected]

posted
Total Posts
This is a feature request. Feature requests can be voted up by supporters.
Current Priority: +0
Topic Starter
Dranoel
Songs can be lengthy. Sometimes, when I fail at the end of a song, I don't retry, because I know that I'll have to go through all of the beginning which I can do just to get to the hard end part again. Being able to retry from the last break would eliminate this feeling of defeat, so that way I can practice the ending until I get it down, then perform the whole song.

Why not just use edit mode to practice?
Edit mode is edit mode. It isn't practice mode. Plus, it takes plenty of work from the user to switch to edit mode and then find the section. Also, edit mode does not rank. If this is added in play mode, people can rank (given a point deduction).

How could we implement this?
One way would to add an extra button to the retry screen. Or, have an additional menu after the user presses retry asking if he or she would want to start from the last break. Each time it is done, it deducts from the total score from the song (by subtraction or a multiplier).
The second way of doing this is by a mod that automatically does this for the user. It would also have a multiplier.
An64fan
Something like this has been suggested... I think it may have been turned down, though I don't remember.

I think something like this would kinda break the game. Being consistently good would no longer mean anything. Because you could fluke and then mess up but start again where you were before.

Point reduction would definitely be a must if something like this got implemented, I think, though then what were you working for? So many points (And, if it was designed that way, combo count) would be all gone.

If you just having a hard time beating the map you could use a mod to reduce difficulty... Which I think I like better than the idea of restarting from your last break (in general). Not that this isn't a nice idea. From time to time, something like this would be nice, though I think it would likely get used and abused or not used at all, depending on how heavily you're penalized and some other factors.
James
Edit mode is practice mode.
awp

James wrote:

LuigiHann
I'd rather have an actual, completely unranked practice mode implemented. Letting someone get a score for a run that wasn't played in one go seems wrong.
peppy
agreed that scoring for such a mode is stupid and not possible.

Download: UI-70 - Wind God Girl (pieguy1372) [596108's taiko].osu
Topic Starter
Dranoel
Bah. I had high hopes for this one.
Echo

LuigiHann wrote:

I'd rather have an actual, completely unranked practice mode implemented.
Test mode~
adamskii_uk

James wrote:

Echo wrote:

Test mode~
I often use edit/test mode for practicing difficult to read beatmap sections. It makes learning a beatmap much quicker than playing it from start to finish each time, since I can skip past sections that I can already do. And since there's over 1000 (four and five star) beatmaps to master, with and without mods, anything I can do to save time learning the beatmaps is very welcome. :)

However, it would be even better though if we had access to some of the mods in test mode, such as double time, hidden and flashlight. I would like to be able to practice these mods in the same way that I practice a beatmap normally, by going straight to sections of a beatmap that I'm having problems with and repeating it over and over, until I have mastered it.
peppy
no
ThePassingShadow
This would break the game completely.
James

peppy wrote:

no
case closed.