forum

KoF '98 - Fanatic Waltz

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
EiJi
Hello!

This here will be my first submission. It's kind of unique, in the sense that is is strictly notes. There are no spinners or sliders.

Furthermore, this map was made for pure fun. It is practically unplayable unless you're really good. But the song is timed. In fact I time each note individually for accuracy, instead of relying on beat snap.

This song is HARD. If you're fast with your mouse or use a touchscreen, then by all means. I'd also recommend you use your keyboard for pressing the notes. You'll see why...

A friend encouraged me to upload it, so here you go.
Fanatic Waltz: HAS BAD TIMING. Download at your own risk. A remake is next on my list.
http://peppy.chigau.com/files/The%20King%20of%20Fighters%20'98%20Arranged%20Sound%20Trax%20-%20Fanatic%20Waltz.osz

PS: There are two parts where stacked steps slant way too much. I'll look into fixing that. Was perfect in the editor =/

EDIT: Btw mods, I am not posting these with the intention of getting them 'approved', I made these for the sole intention of killing time.

With that said, here's my very first map,
Mad Fantasy: Re-uploaded.
Changes: Everything. Remade it from scratch. New difficulty should be between normal and hard.

http://peppy.chigau.com/files/The%20King%20of%20Fighters%20'98%20Arranged%20Sound%20Trax%20-%20Mad%20Fantasy.osz
Starrodkirby86
Uh huh...I'll play this song right away and see what happens. I'll edit this post to tell you my feedback. Your song description sounds intriguing, the fact it's impossible, hahaha.....XD'

Edit: I just played it. There is one spinner at the very end. But you are right about sliders. Anyway, of course you have no intention. I love the beginning where I look at all of the 8th circles just streaming making stuff, especially the colorful circle....@_@. In addition, another reason why I can see no intent is that the beginning indeed is really the only hard part. I mean, even though I skipped a little, that's because the rest seemed to calm down. There were a lot of breaks, I can say that (Especially that part with a fourth circle and a quick break, then another one, and one more, I liked that part very much), but I can't blather about that because of the positive points breaks can make. I liked it, wasn't the greatest of course but that's probably because it's for entertainment and the pure funess of them all. THis can be like a training work for real song projects being worked on later anyway, so that's good.
Topic Starter
EiJi
Wasn't expecting anyone to reply, heh.

When I said there were no spinners, I was referring to my first song.

But like I said...they're pretty hard. I can do my second song, but that's cheating since I know the beat. I've thing I can say, they're pretty fun to watch when played in the editor.

I need to rethink all this... I'm a DDR player, so I guess it's only natural that songs I map have a crazy amount of notes...hmm.
Starrodkirby86

EiJi wrote:

Wasn't expecting anyone to reply, heh.

When I said there were no spinners, I was referring to my first song.

But like I said...they're pretty hard. I can do my second song, but that's cheating since I know the beat. I've thing I can say, they're pretty fun to watch when played in the editor.

I need to rethink all this... I'm a DDR player, so I guess it's only natural that songs I map have a crazy amount of notes...hmm.
Hey hey hey, I'm a Stepmania Simfile maker, I made 128 simfiles, and a probably third or so of them, maybe a majority are keyboarded. I can see the handicap, I know. But still, it's very pretty to see all these circles go through everything, heh. It's okay nevertheless.
Echo
@first song:
I know you said you only made these to "kill time", but you're killing more time than you need to if you don't time it properly. If you time it properly you can leave beatsnap on. Also, if timed incorrectly, any sliders won't sound right.

Take a look at the attached file, if you want.

Personally, i don't consider this a "hard" beatmap, but difficulty levels are open to interpretation.

@second song:
The BPM and offset for this is fine, but what's the point of timing it if you're not going to use it? Resnap all beats and the timing of the notes becomes perfect.

Download: The King of Fighters '98 Arranged Sound Trax - Fanatic Waltz (EiJi) [Hard].osu
Topic Starter
EiJi
Echo, with all respect, I am not saying you are wrong. But I am just baffled at the fact that you say the timing on Fanatic Waltz is bad. Again, I am not saying you're wrong, I just don't understand.

The reason I don't use beatsnap is because of the limilations is creates. On these two songs, each note is placed specifically to whatever beat I assign it to. I go over each note and adjust it as needed. Sure, there are notes that are not 100% accurate, I know this because I ran into some notes that were just BARELY off (but this is on .25 speed, regular would be unoticable.)

Got a bit sidetracked, but continuing on, the emulation of the piano sequence would not have been possible had I used beatsnap. With as many notes as I did, there were going to be many assigned to a grid that was not accurately assigned to the musical note.

Anyway... All I would like to know is how exactly the timing is off. My maps are not supposed to follow the "beat", instead they follow the musical notes.
Echo

EiJi wrote:

My maps are not supposed to follow the "beat", instead they follow the musical notes.
And fortunately for all of us, the music always follows the beat.

Why would we tell you to time the song if you're not going to use it to help you place the beats? For example, in your second song, all your beats are about 1/4-1/8 beat too early.
awp

EiJi wrote:

The reason I don't use beatsnap is because of the limilations is creates. On these two songs, each note is placed specifically to whatever beat I assign it to. I go over each note and adjust it as needed.
Just so you know, you can adjust the beat snap divisor from 1/1 all the way down to 1/8. If your notes don't line up with the 1/8 snaps, then the bpm is probably set wrong. Adjusting notes manually should only be done in a rare case.
Topic Starter
EiJi
When I initially used beatsnaps, I found that..."sounds" I wanted to use for steps did not align correctly with any of the grids. Perhaps I did the BPM wrong, but I didn't think so. Now forgive me for I have taken no musical classes in my entire life and know nothing about music... Are you saying that there can be no sound that is not 100% correctly assigned to a 1/8 beat? Assuming of course the BPM is set correctly.

Edit: Looking back at what you said, Echo, that notes were off, it is so because I intentionally did so. I'd go through each note in slowmo, and correcting its position until it was accurate. Accurate to my ears anyway. I am not arguing here, I'm just trying to understand... It seems to be 'what sounds right' vs the beat. But is the beat always right?

Edit2: You know what. I'll just take your word for it even if I don't understand right now. The next song I do, I will use beatsnap. If then I have any problems, well, I'll come back seeking help.
peppy
I have checked this just to make sure. I agree fully with Echo's comments and changes. You should be using a 1/3 or 1/6 snap divisor with his new timings as each tick has 3 or 6 beats to it. This should work perfectly with the song. Another option is to time 1 tick per 3/4 time signature beat, but the metronome will not sound right because it is only available as 4/4 at the moment (this will change in the near future.)

Are you saying that there can be no sound that is not 100% correctly assigned to a 1/8 beat? Assuming of course the BPM is set correctly.
I will go ahead and say yes to this one, under one circumstance: You time the BPM to the individual beats, not the bars (as Echo has done). This would mean changing the BPM to 3x what Echo had set (189.96). Please try this out and hopefully you will see what I mean - once you use this bpm setting, you will only need 1/1 or 1/2 snap divisors.

In case I'm not being clear enough, here's a rundown:

BPM 63.32 (timed to the bar, containing 3 beats):
Snap divisor 1/3 will give you a snap point every beat (where there is 3 waltz beats per bar)
Snap divisor 1/6 will give you a snap point every beat and every off-beat.

BPM 189.96 (timed to the beat):
Snap divisor 1/1 will give you a snap point every beat.
Snap divisor 1/2 will give you a snap point every off-beat.
Snap divisor 1/4 will give you 4 snap points distributed evenly over every beat.

Does that make sense?

I understand it may be a bit hard to grasp these concepts, but once you are familiar, it makes life a whole lot easier. Try to have an open mind and test these settings above, and see if you can understand the method behind this :).
Starrodkirby86

EiJi wrote:

When I initially used beatsnaps, I found that..."sounds" I wanted to use for steps did not align correctly with any of the grids. Perhaps I did the BPM wrong, but I didn't think so. Now forgive me for I have taken no musical classes in my entire life and know nothing about music... Are you saying that there can be no sound that is not 100% correctly assigned to a 1/8 beat? Assuming of course the BPM is set correctly.

Edit: Looking back at what you said, Echo, that notes were off, it is so because I intentionally did so. I'd go through each note in slowmo, and correcting its position until it was accurate. Accurate to my ears anyway. I am not arguing here, I'm just trying to understand... It seems to be 'what sounds right' vs the beat. But is the beat always right?

I know nothing about music until I stepped up until DDR and so forth, but even then a musical composition note chart looks like chicken scratch to me (Of course, not really, but you get it). If you really have trouble determining a BPM, you can get a BPM Analyzer. The best that analyzes a 4/4 measure song (Which is most of the songs) is MixMeister BPM Analyzer.
Topic Starter
EiJi
Thank you! Finally an explanation. I have just one last question, which will not be for the sake of defending myself but out of curiosity. IS my 'bad timing' even noticeable when run at normal speed? If so, perhaps I should do some sort of rhythm training.

Star: I've actually been using that program. I've been using it to set the BPMs.
Echo

EiJi wrote:

Is my 'bad timing' even noticeable when run at normal speed?
Not really. If you just play the beatmap, it might feel a little bit off at times, but it's hardly noticeable.

Getting the BPM right just makes the entire thing a whole lot easier for you when placing the beats.

The only time where an incorrect BPM will mess up the song is when there are sliders, because the ticks in it are calculated based on the BPM.
Starrodkirby86

EiJi wrote:

Thank you! Finally an explanation. I have just one last question, which will not be for the sake of defending myself but out of curiosity. IS my 'bad timing' even noticeable when run at normal speed? If so, perhaps I should do some sort of rhythm training.

Star: I've actually been using that program. I've been using it to set the BPMs.

Awesome, so do I. XD XD

Of course, if the song I were to do has already a good BPM or one from that is on a rhythm game I use that BPM instead, since it can easily be more accurate.
Topic Starter
EiJi
Echo, AWP, Peepy,

I would like to take a moment to thank you guys for helping me. Just finished another song. Even I can tell the difference in timing. Thanks.

You too, Star ;)
Starrodkirby86

EiJi wrote:

Echo, AWP, Peepy,

I would like to take a moment to thank you guys for helping me. Just finished another song. Even I can tell the difference in timing. Thanks.

You too, Star ;)
Woo, I get acknowledgement! All right, I'll try out your other song, see the difference, heh.
Topic Starter
EiJi
Remade Mad Fantasy. Re-uploaded, check first post.
Extor
I'm going to reply about Mad Fantasy.

It's a nice beatmap, the timing is excellent. I needs one more difficulty option though.

You should see some spacings at some parts, mainly at 2:52:80. Try to hold alt and move the notes a bit to reflect the real space between them. Other than that, I don't have any objections.

Cya!
Topic Starter
EiJi

Extor wrote:

It's a nice beatmap, the timing is excellent. I needs one more difficulty option though.
I present you, my "original" release of MF, which I shall call 'Crazy'. This is just for you, though, Extor. I think it's too crazy for a public release, an official one anyway. 4.3 stars.

Keep in mind it may have problems, but no need to comment on them, I just retimed and resnapped this for you.

Download: The King of Fighters '98 Arranged Sound Trax - Mad Fantasy (EiJi) [Crazy].osu
peppy
I have to say I really like Fanatic Waltz. My only problem with it is the beat spacing - you have many sections where it is impossible to follow due to the spacing being constant but timing changing a few times. If only you fixed this, I'd love to rank it! If you want examples of these sections then ask - I'll go find them.
show more