forum

Tablet PC enhancements, osu!direct ideas?

posted
Total Posts
This is a feature request. Feature requests can be voted up by supporters.
Current Priority: +0
Topic Starter
Butanero-san
I just got a new tablet PC and its primary function is playing osu!, but even though it runs great and plays great (my tablet is an HP tx2500 series), there are a few things that could be improved:

Blatant lack of pausing in-action.
Not sure if this could actually be a bug, or it was intended, but there's no way to pause, close osu! or even touch anywhere else on the screen (windowed mode) while in-play, and since Input Panel cannot be summoned, I can't press Esc on the virtual keyboard. So the only options are to either fail the song deliberately or open the lid, press Esc and close back the lid, which are both kinda annoying.
That could be fixed, by adding a (small) pause button, or allowing the user to click outside the window (and therefore the X button too, which could summon the pause menu).
btw there's no middle button in my stylus

Menu: Alphabetical buttons for search.
The current way that search works is really nice, of course. But for us Tablet PC users it's quite annoying, having to summon the Input Panel every time we want to search. A nice solution would be some sort of alphabetical buttons in a sub-menu of sorts, you click the letter and all the maps that start by that letter appear.

Skin overrider Not a Tablet PC request though.
You know how some maps come with their own skin? Well, there should be an option and/or mod (like no-video) to disable that custom skin. Some maps' skins are great, but some are disorienting and sometimes I feel like enabling back my favourite, Ouendan 2 skin.

osu!direct:
- Again, not sure if a bug: but when I click a song, and then the next song to download, only appears the previous song, and you have to click cancel to show the new one, like if they were tabs.
- It would be cool if you could find and download the beatmap packs while in osu!direct, and show the songs you don't have.

I can't think of anything else right now...
An64fan
Blatant lack of pausing in-action: Has always crossed my mind. During breaks of sufficient length, I tend to drop down and check forums and stuff while I wait. It's not too rare that I tend to stretch my time to the absolute maximum. Being unable to move my cursor outside of where the field area would be when I push my time too far isn't all that awesome, either. Having osu! auto-pause if gameplay starts up again and osu! isn't the active window would be nice. Having the ability to click outside the window mid-game to pause would also be really good. Trying and failing to reach the Esc key when playing sucks.

Menu: Alphabetical buttons for search: As a matter of fact, you CAN search maps alphabetically. They're sorted alphabetically by author and then by song name by default. But if you click the black boxes near the top you can start searching by other criteria. Everything is split into separate groups according to your search options.

Skin overrider: For background and beat colours, I'd say yes. Most other elements of skinning (custom hit images, hit circles, spinners, etc.) and storyboarding can be removed from the song's folder without any worries.
peppy
Can't you emulate a middle-click by pressing left and right at the same time? I know this works on most 2-button tablets/mice.
An64fan
The tablet pen for my Bamboo only allows you to click the lower button or the upper button. You can't click both at once. So I'm stuck with hitting ~ whenever I try to hit Esc to pause. Don't know about Butanero. I know that on mine, you can set a button to scroll (like clicking the mouse wheel, though I think you need to hold it for my pen), not sure though if that would actually work to pause, though. Even if it did, it'd pose inconvenient elsewhere (I tend to often just stick with my tablet if I stop playing for a couple minutes to go check stuff on forums and such, and right-clicking stuff isn't that uncommon for me).
MaxwellDemon
Actually, tapping on the pen is counted as a left click... and to be honest, I am pretty sure you could configure one of the buttons to be a "middle click". On my tablet, I have the upper button set as middle click, the lower button as the right click, while the tapping is regular clicking.
Topic Starter
Butanero-san

peppy wrote:

Can't you emulate a middle-click by pressing left and right at the same time? I know this works on most 2-button tablets/mice.
Nope.
Although my tablet pen only has one programmable button (the eraser doesn't count as button, programmable or not), that yes, it can be set to middle-click and yes it works, but then, I am left right-button-less, which, like An64fan said, is an inconvenience if you stop playing for a bit.

Another thing that would be useful would be make the osu! window always on-top during gameplay, not at menus, because you know how annoying is when someone IMs you when playing.

EDIT: This is my tablet pen.
http://i38.tinypic.com/2ylvgix.jpg
It says Toshiba, but it's almost the same as my HP.
An64fan

MaxwellDemon wrote:

Actually, tapping on the pen is counted as a left click... and to be honest, I am pretty sure you could configure one of the buttons to be a "middle click".
Problem with this, my friend, is I used a mix of tapping and clicking to accomplish my tasks. (And right-clicking)
awp
This map has been deleted on the request of its creator. It is no longer available.
Topic Starter
Butanero-san

awp wrote:

I'd recommend just plugging in a USB keyboard when using the tabletPC to play osu!

That way you can search, chat, pause and all that nice stuff without having to use a soft keyboard
That's pretty awesome (if I had a spare USB keyboard). However, sometimes I simply pack in my tablet PC and go around like if it was a giant DS. Nothing like playing osu! in the train. So it's not like I can carry an USB keyboard around (however, I've seen people that DO so. And even play Frets on Fire. Yyyup.).
awp
They have those crazy-ass roll-up keyboards that you could wear on your arm is you wanted to. I think you can get em for as low as 20 bux
Topic Starter
Butanero-san
But it's a bit overkill, buying a whole keyboard for a single key.
foulcoon
clickable pause buttons mid-game would just be an inconvenience for the other 50k players who don't use a tablet pc. searching by clickable letter seems interesting, but it also seems like it would be cluttered.
Echo
Something like an invisible button in the top left corner?

Or we can toggle it :))))))
Topic Starter
Butanero-san

Echo wrote:

Or we can toggle it :))))))
I agree. There should be a tablet mode with all these tablet enhancements.
awp

Butanero-san wrote:

But it's a bit overkill, buying a whole keyboard for a single key.
That keyboard would be usable in other applications, though. Think of all the application hotkeys you're missing out on. Not to mention chatting in osu! will be a hell of a lot easier, as will searching and beatmap creation.

Download: Loona - Vamos A La Playa (Xeno32) [Collab].osu
LuigiHann
You could just buy a numeric keypad, then reprogram the buttons.