forum

Good Old Games

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
adam2046
Just posting incase anyone hasn't heard of it yet.
http://www.gog.com/en/frontpage/

From the site:
GOG.com offers you critically acclaimed games from major publishers in every genre. Don’t let your kids mock the graphics; remind them that the classics never go out of style, unlike their totally wicked haircut.

For less than the cost of a lunch at some lousy diner you can own some of the greatest games of all time. No matter how big the file is and how successful the game was, you’ll leave the table satisfied that you got a great deal for your money. As an added bonus, our house specialities won’t make you sick.

Don't let your DRMs turn into nightmares (clever, no?). You won't find any intrusive copy protection in our games; we hate draconian DRM schemes just as much as you do, so at GOG.com you don't just buy the game, you actually own it. Once you download a game, you can install it on any PC and re-download it whenever you want, as many times as you need, and you can play it without an internet connection.

Thanks to our handsome programming team, the classics are now Windows Vista and Windows XP compatible. Now you can use your lightning-fast PC to unleash the full potential of those games you just couldn’t play properly on that busted old 386.

Buying the game is just the beginning. With the purchase of any game at GOG.com you'll also get some great additional materials for free, including game guides, walkthroughs, MP3 game soundtracks, wallpapers and more. No joke.
LuigiHann
Meh. When they have LucasArts adventure games, I'll be impressed.
eee
I just heard of it yesterday (Dec. 2), you probably saw it as I did
Pokebis
This map has been deleted on the request of its creator. It is no longer available.
Loginer
...These are old games? Last gen games hardly count as classics.

Pokebis wrote:

Also for Luigihann. Old Lucasart games count as abandonware I think. Download regardless.
Nope, they're not abandonware, and I think we all know where to find them if we want to. Let's keep it semi-legal in here.
awp
You can download games legally, if that was the point you were trying to refute.
Loginer
That's not it, he linked to a site where you could download the games illegally.
awp
This map has been deleted on the request of its creator. It is no longer available.
LuigiHann
Hey, thanks Loginer, for keeping it legit. Abandonware isn't a real legal concept, just an ethical one. And every abandonware site I've seen has LucasArts adventures classified as off-limits by request of the ESA, which means that LucasArts still defends those copyrights, which means that they are "not abandonware" in the most literal sense.
Pokebis
I'm not going to argue with you guys, but this seems a bit odd because of the fact we upload and download copyrighted songs on osu!.

Also other links containing this sort of thing are posted by other people and floating around on these forums.
Topic Starter
adam2046
Loginer

Pokebis wrote:

I'm not going to argue with you guys, but this seems a bit odd because of the fact we upload and download copyrighted songs on osu!.

Also other links containing this sort of thing are posted by other people and floating around on these forums.
Posting links to other copyrighted material is not going to help. We're already playing with fire, so we don't want to become that good source for finding links to the latest games on top of that. The video game and movie industries are also much bigger fans of shutting sites down and suing people. And while downloading songs requires you to register, making the songs less accessible and hiding them from simple Google searches, anyone can read these forums. Another problem is referers, but that's not a very big issue.

Discussing piracy is fine, though. :D