forum

Uneven distance snapping!

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
CheeseWarlock
The Editor's distance snap seems to be wonky at times, probably due to some kind of rounding error. It sometimes places notes at different ranges depending on the direction from the previous note. To see what I mean, set the BPM to 189.000 and the grid level to 2. Slider velocity is 1.20 and distance spacing is 1.0. (I think that's all the details needed to recreate this...)

For hitcircles on white ticks (whole beats away, timewise), if a beat is placed above or to the left of the previous one, there will be a 4-space gap between them. If it's below or to the right, the gap is only 3 spaces.

YoshiKart
Grid Snapping is at fault here, I believe.
An64fan
This map has been deleted on the request of its creator. It is no longer available.
Topic Starter
CheeseWarlock

YoshiKart wrote:

Grid Snapping is at fault here, I believe.
Grid snapping, distance snapping, SOMETHING's just rounding wrong.

An64fan wrote:

I think Metal Mario brought this up recently... He mentioned it calculating spacing from the upper-left corner or something. My best guess for this matter is that it's not calculating distance from the same point between the first beat and the one you're placing. Like from the corner to the center or something.
That would cause more frequent and more noticeable errors, though.
machol30
I have noticed this a while ago, and I'm partially with Yoshi on this one. I believe grid snapping is at fault here too. I also think it has something to do with timing because when beats are placed, they're rounded to nearest thousandth of a second, right? They'll snap forward or backward a grid because of uneven timing. Turn on distance snap and turn off grid snap, and you should see notes right in between grids, then (assuming they are snapping forward or backward).

EDIT: so, yes. It's a rounding error.