forum

How much would a decent touchpad cost me?

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
Gunzil
Just curious, playing with a mouse that uses the arm of my chair as a mousepad can sometimes mess up my scoring D:
awp
For your most basic touchpad (which is all you need for osu!) you're looking at around 60 bucks. I don't know how well it'll operate, but this application should enhance the experience. As for tablets, which are a little similar to touchscreens, they tend to range from 180-300 dollars.
Loginer
Trust me, you do NOT want to play with a touchpad. I'm speaking from my own experience, since I play on a laptop, and it didn't take long before I whipped out a mouse. Even with Synaptic Absolution, it's painfully hard compared to playing with a mouse. A tablet on the other hand... <_<
Topic Starter
Gunzil
Thanks, I guess what I'll do is invest in a mousepad, since you can get them cheap, and if I ever come across a way to get more monies, I might go for a tablet. Are there any differences in types of mousepads/etc that I had to worry about? I use an optical mouse.
LuigiHann
An optical mouse doesn't generally require a mousepad, any surface with a texture or pattern of some sort should be fine. They do make mousepads for that purpose, though, so you might try one of those.
Topic Starter
Gunzil
Can you recommend some decent/cheap tablets?

Also, I read up on graphics tablets. Apparently they don't actaully have an LCD screen behind them, and are basically a touchpad except bigger, and if I want an LCD screen, it's going to cost insane amounts of cash. Can you give any more information on the differences, and the actual features of a tablet?
awp
A tablet is a (typically) touch-sensitive panel. I've only had experience with a couple Wacom tablets, but I believe the tendancy is for them to only be operated by specific instruments; more specifically, the bundled pens. Mine also came with a mouse that only works on the tablet's surface, but I never use it. You can get tablets that have an LCD behind them that light up your strokes as you draw them, but if you're looking to have your monitor on your tablet surface, it ain't gonna happen. Thems're expensive.
Topic Starter
Gunzil
OIC, so basically it can be used for more precision when moving the cursor, but isn't an actual touchscreen in the sense of what a DS touchscreen is. Still sounds like a cool implement, though. :mrgreen:
awp
T'is what I use.

Granted I have it for digital art primarily. Osu! was just a good secondary for it.
Topic Starter
Gunzil
It's weird because I was thinking about getting into digital art if I actaully get a tablet, but then again, by digital art I mean doodles in MS paint.
Gilrad
If you're looking for touchscreens, the minimum price I found on Newegg was around $300.