forum

KAREN - Distorted Pain

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
Derp_old
This beatmap was submitted using in-game submission on Saturday, December 20, 2008 at 2:26:30 PM

Artist: KAREN
Title: Distorted Pain
Source: Gore Screaming Show
Tags: Distorted Pain KAREN Gore Screaming Show OP Japanese Visual Novel H Game
BPM: 160
Filesize: 14184kb
Play Time: 01:36
Difficulties Available:
  1. Hard (4.34 stars, 110 notes)
Download: KAREN - Distorted Pain
Download: KAREN - Distorted Pain (no video)
Information: Scores/Beatmap Listing
---------------
Well... This isn't anywhere near complete by any means. This is my first attempt at mapping anything, and it's not really coming natural to me (it probably doesn't to anyone, though). I have about a minute or so of mapping done on this, and I'm not feeling very confident in it. If ANYONE who has a little bit of mapping experience could take a look at this map for me and give me some feedback on it, I'd appreciate it. I don't really want to go any further with this if it's no good. I think the timing is close... but I could be wrong on that. Also, I haven't changed the universal offset or w/e it is, I didn't really understand it when I tried. This probably isn't a good song for a first beatmap... depending on the comments I get I may leave it as is and start work on a simpler song.

Examples of things I'd like feedback on:

Timing of course.

Are the notes placed too randomly? I tried to sync them to the vocals, and I distance snapped them all, but they kind of meander into nowhere and back. Is syncing notes to vocals not usually done?

I think some of the sliders near the beginning are messed up... they don't seem to end right. I may have done them improperly/unintuitively. Also, I think one or two might overlap each other, which makes it look a little ugly... I'm guessing thats usually frowned upon

The video might be a little too intense or distracting, if you think it should be removed, say so...

Stuff like that. I'm really just looking for help on what is wrong and should be fixed, advice on stuff NOT to do, and if applicable, some encouragement on things I actually did right.

Thanks for your help.
An64fan
Bmp is correct. =3
Offset seems right as well.

01:04:60 (13) - I think, lengthen this by a half-beat. Sounds better.

Now that I've taken a look at it in editor, all of your timing seems completely fine for the most part. However, you should work a little on your distance spacing. As a general rule, your beats should be spaced so that there's about the same amount of space between circles spaced one beat apart, and, say, twice the space for those spaced two beats apart, etc. Either judging distances visually or using distance snap is fine. If you're using grid snap, a finer grid is better, although overriding/turning off grid snap for preciseness is usually a good idea.

I'm looking forward to more of this being mapped (even if the song is quite long, but you don't necessarily need to map the whole thing, of course. :P)
Topic Starter
Derp_old
Thanks for your feedback An64fan! I lengthened the slider you suggested. I'm not entirely sure how to improve the distance spacing since I had distance snap on the whole time, but I will either disable the grid or set it to a finer setting, that should help a little. Maybe just putting a little more thought into where I'm placing my notes rather than placing them randomly would help.

I think that's the little bit of encouragement I needed to finish this, so hopefully soon I'll get the motivation to finish it up and do another difficulty or two.