forum

[duplicate] Something for the beginners.

posted
Total Posts
This is a feature request. Feature requests can be voted up by supporters.
Current Priority: +0
Topic Starter
Real1
Sometimes I like to see what all the beginners are doing, so I check them out and notice... They are often playing the latest beatmaps and failing hard on them, then they may quit because "it's too hard".
Many beatmaps don't have an Easy difficulty setting, and newbies probably just wanna install and play, not knowing too much about difficulties...
This is why there should be an installer for beginners that include, say 5-10 beatmaps that are very easy (maybe Beginner and Easy diff. only).
I know there is a topic for newbies which contain easy songs, but how many of the beginners actually go into the forums searching for a solution?

So when downloading osu! there could be two options. The normal osu! installer and osu! for beginners option that comes with easy maps pre-installed.
awp
I believe osu! doesn't have any beatmaps in it by default because peppy doesn't have rights to the songs beatmapped. I think what we'd ideally need to do is get the rights to some songs or make some ourselves =x

then again, hi there osu!direct
Topic Starter
Real1

awp wrote:

I believe osu! doesn't have any beatmaps in it by default because peppy doesn't have rights to the songs beatmapped. I think what we'd ideally need to do is get the rights to some songs or make some ourselves =x

then again, hi there osu!direct
Hmmz... What about songs that normally are free to use, such OCRemix songs or songs that are free in general? Beatmaps for those doesn't need any rights, do they? (I'm a total noob on stuff like that so i have no idea).
CheeseWarlock

Real1 wrote:

Hmmz... What about songs that normally are free to use, such OCRemix songs or songs that are free in general? Beatmaps for those doesn't need any rights, do they? (I'm a total noob on stuff like that so i have no idea).
OCRemix is probably a safe bet, and Jamendo has a whole bunch of Creative Commons music. And then there's Jonathan Coulton; most of his stuff is licensed free to use.
Gemi
For example I mapped Rainspark, which is a free to use song from Sanxion7 (http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=20215) and has as easy a beginner difficulty as possible. I think there are others like that out there, so this is by no means impossible to do.
Zerostarry
In before Tay Zonday. :3
Topic Starter
Real1
So, if it doesnt exist already, someone could use a few "free to use" songs and make beatmaps especially for beginners. Shouldn't be too hard to make since a max combo wouldnt go over 50 on a 2 minute song. :p :?
CheeseWarlock
Well, I'd want to add harder difficulties (at least a hardish Normal), but I've got a great song for a beginner map (that also satisfies my love for complex rhythm) that would be 100% free-to-use. :D And no, Zero, no Tay Zonday please.

I'll take a look at Gemi's map; we'd want at least a few songs of different styles to show newcomers the diversity of available music.
peppy
The problem is that most people aren't motivated to make beatmaps using free music because its not what they want to map. If you think you can change this on your own, then I have nothing against this idea.
Topic Starter
Real1
There wouldnt have to be many. just something for beginners to start with. Just a few people motivated to make, say five maps that are easy for beginners, using OCremixes maybe and Cheese had an idea that doesnt seem to be OCremix...

Maybe even I can make one
CheeseWarlock
Yeah, I've got this one really cheerful little song called Animus Girl by Savium. It's an instrumental track, somewhere between pop-punk and math-rock. Reminds me a bit of Walkie Talkie Man, in a way. And I'd say three is the magic number; keep the download size smaller.
Vytaan
I have a song that I've composed a while ago, you're free to include it ingame if you want. I really wouldn't mind =]
An64fan

Vytaan wrote:

I have a song that I've composed a while ago, you're free to include it ingame if you want. I really wouldn't mind =]
We'd need to know where we could get it lol.

Perhaps, and I'm just adding to the ideas already, there could be a Tutorial mode (and not just the osu! tutorial). There would be a list of probably BAT-determined tutorial-suitable maps which would allow you to click it and you'd be directed the the map's page... And possibly allow the BATs to add a short caption to it as well?

The screen could be split vertically... On the left, a list of these BAT-determined maps, with perhaps any caption appearing below it if you hover your cursor over it (like how the download, thread, etc. links appear under maps on the beatmap list), and clicking it takes you to the map's page. On the right would be a selection list of the maps that have been downloaded and would function like the selection pages, but kept a bit simpler.

Something this is doable, right? And you wouldn't have to worry about including the beatmaps in the osu! download this way.

*is just shooting ideas*
peppy
Keep in mind we already do have this, which I approve of. Maybe a link to it shuold be made more obvious.
awp

peppy wrote:

The problem is that most people aren't motivated to make beatmaps using free music because its not what they want to map.
I map what I have/listen to, but if someone gave me a list of Free-Use mp3s I'd be willing to fully map one or two of them. I have a pretty good knack for making appropriate difficulty curves so I'm all for it.
Echo
google Creative Commons music or something, there is actually some pretty good stuff around
Gemi

peppy wrote:

The problem is that most people aren't motivated to make beatmaps using free music because its not what they want to map. If you think you can change this on your own, then I have nothing against this idea.
There is a huge amount of music from different genres available for free on the internet.

http://www.newgrounds.com/
http://www.soundclick.com/

And so on.