forum

Featured Songs (Song of the Day?)

posted
Total Posts
This is a feature request. Feature requests can be voted up by supporters.
Current Priority: +0
Topic Starter
advancechao
I went looking through the beatmap listings and there were some nice beatmaps that receive virtually no publicity. Maybe there could be either an in-game or website feature that displays a random song every day or hour (songs that have a low playcount)? Because after they are pushed to the second page or further back, they are doomed to be in the beatmap graveyard forever :(
Aliento
Oh! I really like this idea! In fact, would it be ok if I expanded on it a little? Ok, what if, at the top of the index page here on the forums, there was something like this:
[1][2][3]
[A][B][C]
OR alternatively:
[1][2][3]-[A][B][C]
(And no, it has nothing to do with that song. >_< You know what song I'm talking about)

1 2 and 3 would be the three most recently ranked beatmaps, while A B and C would be three unpopular (but good) beatmaps of the staff's choice, and it would cycle every day, with one song being removed and replaced by a new one. Every song would stay up there for 3 days.

I don't know about everyone else, but I think this is an excellent idea. It would really help drum up popularity for all the overlooked beatmaps that are ranked, but never played.
awp

Aliento wrote:

while A B and C would be three unpopular (but good) beatmaps of the staff's choice
Are you trying to give us more work to do??? D=

I like this idea as well, expansion included, but AB and C should probably just be randomly selected songs from a pool of the 20 or so least played songs or something. That way it's entirely automated.
Aliento

awp wrote:

I like this idea as well, expansion included, but AB and C should probably just be randomly selected songs from a pool of the 20 or so least played songs or something. That way it's entirely automated.
But doesn't that counteract the "but good" part of "Unpopular, but good" aspect? There's no worldly way to know if a beatmap is good without playing it. If they were just randomly selected, then the worst beatmap ever might end up being picked. And goodness knows I've played some poorly made ones that got about the amount of attention they deserved.
Manabeast
Only problem with it being completely automated is if the songs aren't played much because they aren't good.

Also, That would probably just be older songs, that either everyone's played or no one wants to play, so it'll be the same ones over and over.

It's a good idea, but it NEEDS human input, and, like Awp said, the mods have enough on their hands right now.
awp
Why would a song that was ranked be "not good"?
Cecilthemos
I'm all for this, features like this shows how much better Osu is than Stepmania (Although I love Stepmania).