forum

My First Beatmap - Sweet Child O' Mine - Guns 'n' Roses

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
Stryker Z
I would like some help on a little something. I'm going to make a new song, and I'm an absolute n00b at this, so I was wondering something about the offset. Say I want to make room for an 'intro.' Should I wait past some of the beats in the song before setting the offset, therefore making an intro? Would this work?

Progress:

13.8%

My color key:
32% or less done
33% - 65% done
66% - 99% done
100% Complete!
Complete! (Ranked)
EiJi
You can wait as long as you want when it comes to placing the first note. Lets say, at 0:21 you place a note. The 21st second of the song marks the start. When a player plays that map, there will be an icon on the bottom-right that reads "skip" which will do just that - skip the "intro" and go straight to the start. So don't worry about delaying it.

If the intro is more than 30 seconds or so, you might want to consider cutting that section of the song out by use of an MP3 editor.

As for the offset and BPM, you'll have to provide us with the song in order for us to assist you with that. Open the map in the editor, place atleast one note and File -> Upload. Later on as you work on and finish this map, the uploader will replace your old map with the finished version.

As for the offset, intro or not, place it on the first real beat of the song. It is perfectly fine to have notes placed before the actual offset. However, in these circumstances, you must double--triple check that the timing for these notes is perfect.
Topic Starter
Stryker Z
I think I need a little time before the first beat. I don't have an MP3 editor, and I don't know how to use one. Is there any way to add on some time before the first beat? The reason I ask is because the first beat in the song starts IMMEDIATELY.
peppy
If you go into the Song Setup screen (F4 in the editor) you will see a "Lead-in Time" sliding bar to the right. You can set a lead-in period here of up to 6 seconds before the actual mp3 starts playing. I think this is what you need!
eyup
Ahh I get what you mean now (was a bit confused about what you were asking before). You sure can - go to Song Setup, and on the right hand side there is a slider for Audio Lead-In. That will add a bit of buffer time before the song (and beatmap) starts.

Good luck with the beatmap!

EDIT: stupid peppy, beat me again.
Topic Starter
Stryker Z
Okay, thanks. I'm working on the beatmap, and I don't think it'll be great, but I'll try.

Quick Question:
I see the button that says "Insert Break Time". I click it when I want a break, but it does nothing. How exactly does it work? I want to put in a break at this one point, but it won't work. Any help here?
eyup
It inserts a break between two notes or hit objects that have been placed already. So place notes where you want the start and end of the break, then scroll in between the two notes and click Insert Break Time.
Topic Starter
Stryker Z
Thanks. I'll try to add that in.