forum

Fps video lag with Windows 7

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
Cillu
I recently upgraded to Windows 7 from XP and everytime I play a song with a video, I get fps drops. I don't know if it's a Windows 7 problem or a problem on osu's side.

I currently have cccp installed and have tried reinstalling it and osu, but with no avail. This didn't happen when I used XP, so any ideas?
Echo
peppy only supports using ffdshow as the codec. Other codecs like CCCP may work, but you'll have to figure it out yourself (or find someone who uses it and talk to them)

as for windows 7, although i hear it's more efficient than vista, is as we all know in beta and therefore i would not encourage using it (though others may, again, feel differently)
Atmey
Maybe Windows 7 does not use the correct video driver/setting. Windows 7 is still in beta, so I doubt there will be much solution/support.
felix123_old

Echo wrote:

as for windows 7, although i hear it's more efficient than vista, is as we all know in beta and therefore i would not encourage using it (though others may, again, feel differently)
I thought the reason for a beta is that developers get to fix all the bugs before the official release?
peppy
Video performance should not be any different from Vista. That said, you are moving from XP. The effect of Aero glass (if you have it enabled) and desktop composition may be pushing your graphics card over the limit. You could try disabling glass temporarily.

The more likely solution will be to play with your codecs, of course.

This is definitely not a Windows 7 specific problem, so this topic may as well be renamed to "vista".
Topic Starter
Cillu
Aero glass is off and I have kept my desktop resource usage at minimum. ffdshow is also configured like the diagram in the FAQ so I am at a loss. =|
An64fan
You say that some videos lag? Have you tried disabling video until you can figure out what's causing the lag?
Topic Starter
Cillu
All videos lag (with the exception of storyboards, if they count), and yes I have no video on all the time now, but I enjoy playing osu with videos on =[
peppy
Can we get some system specs? cpu/gpu/ram/resolution of osu
Topic Starter
Cillu
CPU - AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 4200+ 2.21 GHz
GPU - Nvidia Geforce 7900GS
Ram - 3GB ddr2-800
Resolution - 1024x768 windowed with DirectX as the renderer
Loginer
I get (on average) 550 FPS with videos on and 550 FPS with videos off, so I think your codecs are the problem here. Try uninstalling cccp.
Topic Starter
Cillu
I've tried uninstalling my codecs, but the results are the same =/
Atmey

Loginer wrote:

I get (on average) 550 FPS with videos on and 550 FPS with videos off, so I think your codecs are the problem here. Try uninstalling cccp.
Just checked, I've got around 1200~1400 without videos and around 900 with videos or story boarding.