forum

Rob Thomas - Ever the Same

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
MisterVercetti
This beatmap was submitted using in-game submission on Saturday, February 21, 2009 at 10:03:52 PM

Artist: Rob Thomas
Title: Ever the Same
BPM: 99.63
Filesize: 5831kb
Play Time: 03:18
Difficulties Available:
  1. Breezin' (1.36 stars, 142 notes)
  2. Cruisin' (2.3 stars, 189 notes)
  3. Hard ROCK! (4.91 stars, 327 notes)
  4. Sweatin' (4.28 stars, 327 notes)
Download: Rob Thomas - Ever the Same
Information: Scores/Beatmap Listing
---------------
This is my first attempt at creating a standard four-level difficulty beatmap. Any and all feedback/suggestions are greatly appreciated. If this goes over well, I plan on creating a sort of unofficial EBA2 song pack with 19 new songs, following the same difficulty format and whatnot as the first installment.

For those who may be interested, the song listing is:

Tier 1:

Song 1: Dirty Little Secret - All American Rejects (*)

Tier 2:

Song 2: Human Touch - Rick Springfield (**)
Song 3: All Around Me - Flyleaf (**) (??? Awaiting final decision from foulcoon ???)
Song 4: Four Litte Diamonds - Electric Light Orchestra (***)
Bonus 1: Hero - Chad Kroeger and Josey Scott (****)

Tier 3:

Song 5: Rock Around the Clock - Bill Haley and His Comets (***)
Song 6: Life is a Highway - Rascal Flatts (***)
Song 7: 867-5309 (Jenny) - Tommy Tutone (****) (Changed at personal discretion. After listening to it several times, I came to realize that there was no way I could map Magic Carpet Ride without it totally sucking.)
Song 8: Heard it Through the Grapevine - Marvin Gaye (****)

Tier 4:

Song 9: Billie Jean - Michael Jackson (******)
Song 10: Girls Just Wanna Have Fun - Cyndi Lauper (*****)
Song 11: Going Under - Evanescence (*****)
Bonus 2: Owner of a Lonely Heart - Yes (******)

Tier 5:

Song 12: Babe - Styx (*****)

Tier 6:

Song 13: 3 A.M. - Matchbox 20 (******)
Song 14: Kryptonite - Three Doors Down (*******)
Bonus 3: I'm So Excited - The Pointer Sisters (*******)

Tier 7:

Song 15: Never Too Late - Three Days Grace (********)
Song 16: Dancin' in the Streets - Martha and the Vandellas (********)

As with the beatmap, feedback is also encouraged on the song list.

Hope everyone enjoys!

- MisterVercetti

EDIT: Note stacking fixed, as per request. Distance snapping also fixed, except for in places where I felt it would totally eff up the flow of the song (but this is very few and far between, and in these places, the player shouldn't need distance snapping to determine where the beat lies). However, even so, distance snapping caused a lot of strange things to happen in some places. Let me know whether you like this new version or the old version better. If distance snapping has totally screwed things up, no harm, no foul; I've got a backup copy of the old version saved just in case.
Ruduen
Timing seems pretty good, but it really needs to be spaced with distance snap in the majority of the places. Also, it looks like the beats aren't stacked correctly in any of the spots where it's required. You don't have to shift it slightly there, the game will do that on its own.
Topic Starter
MisterVercetti
Workin' on it now, but I gotta say, in some places the distance snap is creating some strange results.

I'll post the finished product when I'm done and see what you think. If you like the new version, then no harm, no foul, but if distance snapping totally effs up everything, I've got a backup saved so we can revert back to the old one if need be.
Topic Starter
MisterVercetti
This map has been deleted on the request of its creator. It is no longer available.
foulcoon
This map has been deleted on the request of its creator. It is no longer available.
Topic Starter
MisterVercetti
No problemo... I've got backups ready for just such an occasion... I just haven't decided which ones yet. :)
Topic Starter
MisterVercetti
Alrighty, my backup plan is formulated:

Face Down; changing this to "Human Touch" by Rick Springfield
All Around Me; If you don't mind, I'd like to take this one. The timing should help speed the process along considerably. :)
Don't Stop Believin'; changing this to "Hero" by Chad Kroeger and Josey Scott
3 A.M.; I'm leaving this one up to you. If you wanna do it, I'll think of an alternate song. If you wanna pass it off to me, that's fine, too. It's gonna be a while before I get that far, so you've got plenty of time to decide.
foulcoon

MisterVercetti wrote:

3 A.M.; I'm leaving this one up to you. If you wanna do it, I'll think of an alternate song. If you wanna pass it off to me, that's fine, too. It's gonna be a while before I get that far, so you've got plenty of time to decide.
Oh no no no. I meant that i already mapped it and its ranked, but I don't like how its done. My map is already included in the Matchbox 20 Beatmapping Project pack. There are however, no rules against mapping a song that is already ranked. So its really up to you.
Topic Starter
MisterVercetti
Alright, then, I'll at least give it a shot (I should also probably play your map, to make sure you're not just being too hard on yourself; I've seen people who clain their beatmaps suck and they, in fact, kick ass).

How about All Around Me, though?
Ruduen
Yeah, it feels a lot better with the spacing now, in comparison to the old one. And as for the songs you picked, it's probably wise to search through all of them, yes, but if it's badly done or you think that you can really do something awesome with it, then go for it.
Topic Starter
MisterVercetti
Well, I did, actually. Problem is, Face Down is so badass that there's no way I could improve on it, and Don't Stop Believin' is currently in the process of being ranked, and it's also really good. I decided in those cases to just save the trouble and switch the songs. As for 867-5309 (Jenny), I changed that song on personal preference alone, since I realized that trying to make a halfway decent map for Magic Carpet Ride would suuuuuuck. As for 3 AM, I certainly like foulcoon's map, but I'd like to put my own spin on it, plus give it the requisite four difficulties it needs, hence why it stuck.

And thanks for the starrage! :D
Magmabear
Um... I hate to say... but where the heck did you get this song?
It sounds... um... wrong. Really, really, REALLY horrible.
This song is sped up than what it actually is.
The actual one is slower and his voice isn't almost chipmunk style.
From what I can guess is that someone sped up the original song a bit, which makes this sound completely wrong and ick.
I really like this song, but somebody just mutilated it.
Do you want me to give you the actual song?
BanchoBot
This modding thread has been migrated to the new "modding discussions" system. Please make sure to re-post any existing (and unresolved) efforts to the new system as required.